Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Summer Whine

I'm whining about no peaches but I took a walk around the front garden this afternoon and I found figs...
and tomatoes. Still green but they are from Greece via Mike at Forli's Restaurant in Alamo and I have high hopes.
some are ginormous.
I have oranges for marmalade,
Immature lemons for winter (think Limoncello)
Kaffir limes for Thai food (you use the leaves)

There is milkweed for the Monarch butterflies

cherry tomatoes (picked clean) a white peach (no fruit this year it's small) Owari Satsuma mandarins (too muddy to climb in for a photo and they fruit at Christmas) - all this in a normal suburban front yard that blends in well with the neighbors.

 No one notices the fruits and vegetables, only the iris and dahlias - the flowers. We eat something from the garden every day...and this is only the front! The back is ten times bigger.  If I can, so can you. This is being green on a whole host of levels. We even have neighbors who are growing olives - and Lisa's dad picked the olives from the trees at the school next door last year and made The. Best. Olives. Renzo? I want lessons. And more olives please.

No comments:

Post a Comment