Here - courtesy of Sloat Nursery in Danville - is what to do in the garden this month. Remember: if you don't shop at the local stores pretty soon you won't have any! And if you sign up for their newsletter they will send you the info directly.
Read. Shop. Plant.
- Watch for the arrival of all our spring bulbs. Shop early for the best selection.
- Plan landscaping projects now. Think about walkways and flower/vegetable beds, as well as focal point shrubs and trees. Need guidance? Call Sloat’s Garden Design Department for expert advice.
- Choose fall blooming pansies and other autumn color.
- Plant fall vegetables such as kale, collard, spinach, arugula and lettuces.
- Apply lawn fertilizer monthly with Nature’s Green Lawn Food.
- Aerate compacted soil.
- Containers, summer annuals and cool season annuals will enjoy monthly feeding at this time of year with Maxsea all-purpose fertilizer.
- Keep the garden clean. Pick up fallen fruit to avoid pests and disease next year. Clean out plant debris. Prepare soil with Loam Builder for fall vegetable beds.
- Mulch with Greenall Micro Bark to inhibit weeds and conserve moisture.