Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Strawberries with the volume turned up

"Have you ever tasted a strawberry right off the vine, warm from the sun?" asked my friend Leslie, mother of The Three Pinks. She had been berry picking in Brentwood. (I had been at the dentist. Who wants to trade places?)

Yes, I have tasted strawberries right off the vine. I grow strawberries. My mother grew strawberries, and my grandmother. But not these strawberries. Not even close. 
The taste is somewhere between those tiny fraise de bois (which can be a but mushy, tho food snobs will never admit it) and a really great California grown strawberry. Strawberry with the volume turned up.

I don't know its name, but I will. Oh yes I will. I rarely succumb to the must-have plant, but one taste and I'm on a mission.  She also brought cherries...

When I asked the cultivar name, she said "crack." I think it's actually a coral cherry, but the strawberry? definitely crack. Must have more....

No comments:

Post a Comment