Friday, December 26, 2014

The Gift of Memory

Long before Christmas, a box arrived from my friend Aileen.  You'll remember her, so many of my favorite things to cook have come from her.
She has decided not to have a tree anymore.  After years of collecting ornaments.  And she decided to give them to me.  Lucky me!
Thank you Aileen.  Every time I look at our tree I think of you - of biking in Morocco, of picking green beans at Round Swamp.  Of biking to Shelter Island coated in bug spray.  Of my first cosmo (but not my last), and the recipe you coaxed out of the reluctant bartender.  Of long summer evenings listening to the waves and watching the fireflies.  
Thank you.  For your memories, for the memories we share.  
It is the most wonderful time of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment