Saturday, May 1, 2010

Golden Grass


Carex elata 'Aurea' or "Bowles Golden' (after E.A. Bowles and aren't you glad you asked?)

 It likes moisture and part shade here in the land of the scorching summers -  it is deciduous but then the sun lights it up and I forgive it everything. Nice to have something looking fantastic now that the dogwoods are browning...altho they hung on thru our party!
We had a party for the Yosemite Fund (join! it is a most worthy cause and a source of endless wonder) and my dear friend Mrs M sent me buckets of roses - I cooked for three days and all people talked about were the huge fragrant fabulous roses. !!! Mrs M says the first cutting is the best - and she is so right. There are roses on every flat surface in my house, by my bed, in the kitchen, even in the laundry room, and the fragrance follows me as I dash from one end of the hall to the other. It reminds me to slow down, to take time, to remember those who love me - and those whom I love. Mrs. M are you listening?  There are rare people who leave you feeling better about yourself and better about the world. She is one of those rare people. She is a joy and  blessing, and I have a house full of roses - spectacular fragrant gorgeous roses - to remind me to take time and treasure my friends. Especially her.



Have a party. Treasure your friends. Take time to listen - really listen - to what a child has to say. Go outside - smell the sunset. Sleep outside and wake to the dawn. Listen to the sounds of the night. Tell your friends how much they mean to you. Sleep in - get up early. Listen to the owls, the frogs and the crickets. Do what makes you happy. Whose life is it, anyway?

1 comment:

  1. I am Wally. I am Jill's husband. I enjoy this benefits of living with Jill. We had a great party last night. Good friends, great cause.

    ReplyDelete