Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Pasta With Prosciutto and Peas

Pasta with Prosciutto and Peas.  Yum.  With home-made pasta it is transcendent. 

I found this recipe in the NY Times,  and since my mom gave me a pasta bike for my birthday years ago (with a stern warning about never never never washing it!) I whipped up a batch.  Of pasta.

My hands were too messy to photograph the mixing-the-eggs-with-the-flour stage.  But then it came together into a nice lump:
Which I have learned to let rest for a few hours, well wrapped in plastic.  Take a nap, go for a walk.  Then run it thru the pasta bike on the biggest setting, folding and re-cranking it thru until it is smooth and elastic. 
Set the pasta bike on smaller and smaller settings, until:
you decide it's thin enough.  Or too long to handle.  
Hint: you can cut the dough into shorter pieces to make it easier to handle...especially when you're running it thru the cutting rollers.  Short sheets will save you a great deal of grief.  
Once the pasta is cut I toss it with flour to keep it from sticking together...
I learned this from Ian when he was four.  Thank you Ian.  
A little boiled cream...
some chives and prosciutto...
and of course some parmigiano Reggiano.  Accept no substitutes.
Open some white wine.  Preferably outside.  In the garden.  With someone you love.  This is too good and delicate to waste on anyone else.
Now, what's for dessert?

No comments:

Post a Comment